Inside Young NRG Productions - Interview with Warminstrel (UK)

Welcome in Young NRG Productions Warminstrel!




Warminstrel, an ex-teenage-punk-free-party rebel residing in the tranquil Wiltshire countryside.
 Has making music for himself and friends for over 30 years in many and varied guises.

These days Warminstrel is often found in his modern home studio making genre-hopping electronica with and trippy, eclectic feel taking those 30 years of magical musical ingestion, ruminating on it for a bit then spitting out brain twisting sonic-aural remedies for the modern mind.
Warminstrel is also a live act/PA using a mix of analog synths and Ableton Live based controlerism playing out Breaks, Techno and DnB sets.
For bookings please contact: email: warminstrel@hotmail.com
Project:
"Eight Bit Breaks"
2 Track breaks project named "Eight Bit Breaks" inspired by many hours back in the 80's spent in arcades playing 8 bit coin op games  and listening old school hip hop at that time from the likes of Public Enemy and The Beastie Boys.  2 Tracks presented here are part of his live Breaks set being played in clubs in 2014.





Could you please describe your current studio setup? 

Acoustically treated studio with KRK Rokit 6 monitoring via Focusrite Saffire Soundcard. Ableton based DAW using various midi contollers: Launchpad, Launchpad Mini, AKAI LPD8 (x2) Korg NanoKontrol2, BCR2000 (Mackie Universal Emulation) Evolution MK461c Keyboard and FCB 10/10 Foot Peddle.  Korg M3, Volca Bass & Monotron, Dr5 Drum Machine, Squire Strat, Rickenbaker Bass and Fretless P Bass plus assorted noisey things to kit list (forgot the hardware!)

How would describe your own production signature? 

My sound has a spontaneous, live sound to it as I arrange and mix  most of my tracks on the fly using the midi gear. There is also a certaion amount of the right kind of 'cheese' to keep it real!

Do you have any production heroes or a favorite piece of music that you aspire to? 

Aphex Twin is one musical hero of mine, Windowlicker is  incredible! Aside from that, a few other artists I consider to be geniuses are Miles Davies, Frank Zappa and John Martyn.

how is your work day?

After my day job in a sales office I generally like to hit the studio, this is of course after my family duties are done! I'm normally working on my hour long live sets or maybe a remix or piece of ghost writing but this all depends on deadlines etc...

what is your best production at the time and that of all the times you've produced? 

Of all my music I produce I get more pleasure form breaks than any other. This is because it allows for room and also has some funk to it. I find that these days I’m not so keen on four to the floor beats and prefer a little skip to it so mainly a jungle/breaks kind of guy depending on the bpm! I could not decide on one specific tracks though!

When did you first get into electronic music? 

When I got a Stylophone in 1974 and recorded it on a reel to reel Bang and Olufson tape recorder aged about 7 or 8. I was always playing with old audio gear in the 70's and 80's that I'd acquire from somewhere! Guitars, Organs, Keys. Tape recorders etc... As a young teenager  I learnt to do over-dubs on an Amstrad tape to tape in the 80's! Never had any decent gear back then so making up for it now!

Is there anyone you’re planning to work with next release? 

I'm presently working  with a Jungle Dnb DJ friend of mine called Ramjack remixing some famous raga artists for a forthcoming album. I'm also working with a rapper from LA name 4NSick and an avent garde electronica act with my seven foot mate Gus Rushmore called Angelical Mechanical so very busy!

What is the one piece of equipment in your studio that is the most valuable to you?  

My ears! Now that I'm not hearing a few frequencies due to age it is all the more important to me, without my hearing and ear for keys etc..the rest would be impossible.

What proportion of time do you spend collaborating as opposed to working on solo material? 

Presently, I am 80-85 % working with others, this seemed to naturally progress though I mainly work with vocalists as I don’t sing too well!


Comments