Ohyeah! Interview with Rory Hoy UK

Save the date! Glad to host this great artist for my new NRG Live Show UK- 3rd march 2016 - NSB Radio - Rory Hoy is a Multi- Award Winning Music Producer/ DJ and Film Maker. He has 5 critically acclaimed albums under his belt on Freddy Fresh’s Howlin’ Records label (USA) and numerous singles, EPs, remixes and collaborations on various labels worldwide. His single ‘Hey Everybody’ featuring the vocals of Ashley Slater (Ex Freakpower with Fatboy Slim) was one of Craig Charles’ ’Tracks of 2015’ on his BBC6 Funk & Soul Show and used as Trailer music. Rory continues to be championed by Craig with his new releases and has been DJ support to him on his touring Funk & Soul Show. Rory was featured in the PRS ‘M’ magazine as a rising new talent and has seen praise from other artists including Fatboy Slim, Afrika Bambaata, Mr Scruff, DJ Cam, Fake Blood, Ali Shaheed Muhammad from A Tribe Called Quest among others.





How was 2015 for you?

I had a really good 2015. The highlights for me were getting massive support on the BBC from one of our most famous DJ’s/Actors, Craig Charles (Red Drawf, Coronation Street) for my tune with Freakpower’s Ashley Slater “Hey Everybody!”, which has done really well for me and Ash, who did the amazing vocals. Craig played it extensively and it's still doing well (in fact it’s gonna get used in an American Sitcom and it was also used as the trailer music for Craig’s BBC Radio Show).I also went to Media City to do an interview and Guest DJ mix for Craig’s show as well as a New Year’s Eve Mix.  It was also amazing DJing with Craig last Xmas at the o2 ABC in Glasgow to 1700 happy punters, especially when he came on stage at the end to give me a massive hug and a ‘big up’  on the Mic. I also really enjoyed Djing at many Festivals  and in Paris, and had a few releases that enjoyed some success. 

FUNK LIKE THIS - 
Can you tell us what your favourite thing is about the new track?

This is a remix I’ve done for DJ’s Just Jess and Snuff Sounds from York who call themselves the Funkliners. I wanted to do something that sounded like a cross between George Clinton (who I met last year!) and Nile Rodgers that really oozed funk! It was a lot of fun doing this remix.

How did this project get started?

I’ve known Jess from Funkliners since 2012 and we’ve DJed together in York a few times, and when he and Snuff formed Funkliners - he said he would love me to remix their debut single - Without hesitation, I agreed to go for it!

Can you tell us about new project you will be working on 2016?

I’ve got a LOT happening in 2016. I have 2 vocal singles coming out - One with Kitten & The Hip who are Ashley Slater (from Freakpower) and Scarlett Quinn, called “Dirty Little Secret” which is a little more pop-orientated than what I normally do. This is coming out in Spring on Super Hi-Fi Recordings. I’ve got another single with Lu Chase - an amazing soulful vocalist from South Africa called “Step Into The Sun” which is more of an Acid Jazz feel. We’ve already had BBC Radio airplay on Craig Charles’ show for this one and he called it ‘one to watch for 2016 – this is being released on Tall House Digital. I also have a collaboration release with Russian Big Beat duo 'Under Influence', quite a few remixes and compilation appearances and I’m also working on a chillout project called “Cosmic Rebirth” which is a follow-up to my very first album release “Cosmic Child” which was released all the way back in 2008 on Freddy Fresh’s Howlin’ Records label.

Imagine yourself walking into the studio; please may you talk me through a typical day? What are your habits?

Since my studio is at home - I often start the day by waking up and immediately go into my studio and tinker about. I have a studio  where we have lots of musical instruments (my Dad’s a professional musician) and recording studio and in another room I have my CDJs, Technics 1s and 2s, Mixer, my Apple Mac and Ableton, which is what I use to put it all together. When I’m not doing anything else, I’m always working on something - I often make about 3 or 4 tunes a month.

How do you go about choosing what software and plug-ins you use?

I don’t use many plug-in’s, but I am currently using Ableton 9 to produce my tunes. Back in 2005-12 however, I was using Sony Acid but it was my friend Andy Ictus, who finally persuaded me to convert to Ableton and I’m really glad I did!

What’s the one piece of DJ/production gear you can’t live without?
Ableton as mentioned above. I also cannot live without my Pionner DJM 750 Mixer as I LOVE abusing the FX while DJ’ing, as I feel it adds an extra layer to my mix.

Any particular artists/dj’s/ producers that really influenced you?

I suppose my biggest influences are Fatboy Slim (who invited me backstage before one of his shows – really nice guy!), Freddy Fresh, The Chemical Brothers, The Wiseguys, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, DJ Cam, Mr. Scruff, Daft Punk and George Formby.  Pretty diverse don’t you think?

How’s the UK music scene in this moment?

At the mo’ in the UK, the dance scene seems to be mainly dominated by Deep/Future/Garage House or the cheesy EDM stuff that’s in the charts - I do incorporate Deep House and EDM in my sets, but I like to add a bit more variation and funk to it, as a lot of it can be kinda bland and same-y. I don’t always follow current trends and I like to do my own thing which I consider to be a mishmash of Funk, Soul, Disco, House, Breaks, Big Beat, Classic Rock, Girly Pop, Jazz, Indie, Garage, Classic Hip-Hop, Drum & Bass, Rave, Latin, Trip-Hop and anything else I’m feeling at the time.  

Often particular cities are linked to certain sounds and sub genres. Do you think living in Harrogate, North Yorkshire is reflected in your music?

Probably not as there isn’t really a particular music scene in Harrogate, although there are a lot of indie bands here, which are good. Most of the music that has influenced me seems to come from anywhere really, as mentioned above - I mostly avoid the trends and I just do my own thing!



Comments