Inside BB Awards 2016 - One day with Jayl Funk - Interview

2nd interview  with all artists nominated in the Breakbeat Awards 2016
Today: Jayl Funk - Cadolzburg (Germany)



LINK TO VOTE

JAYL FUNK
(DJ and Producer from Nuremberg/Germany)
His music is mainly influenced by Oldschool–Breakbeat, House and Funk & Soul. 
With his Funky-Breakz DJ-Set he won in year 2007 the Movida Corona DJ Battle in Nuremberg/Germany. 
He played in well known locations around Europe and had gigs together with big Artists like KRAAK & SMAAK, MARC HYPE, ED ROYAL, BOCA45, BASEMENT FREAKS, etc. 
In 2008 comes out his first release “WASHED CAR” on BLEENCHIC Records / Germany and got many great support by big Artists like Phil Fuldner, Fort Knox Five, All Good Funk Alliance, Rephrase, Flow Dynamics, Goodgroove etc. 
It follows some other Releases and Remixes in 2008 and 2009 on Timewarp Music and on BadBoEs Label Breakbeat Paradies Recordings. 
In 2010 comes out his EP "WE GOT THE FUNK" on Basement Freaks Label BOMBASTIC JAM. It does great success on Beatport and Junodownload and he got many support from Artists and DJs around the Globe. 
In 2011 follows some Vinyl Releases on MANMADE and BigM. Also it comes out his 2nd Release on Bombastic Jam called "GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR" with Remixes by Tim McVicar (Smoove Bassplayer) and Basement Freaks. 
Jayl Funk Releases goes straight into the Top Seller Charts on well known Download-Stores like Junodownload or Beatport. His Vinyl Releases for MANMADE Records and BIG M Records climbed fast to the #1 Positions in the Top Seller Charts at Juno Records UK.
He released his Bootys too on the very successful polish Label TRUFUNK and did great success on Junodownload. His Tune "FUNKY SONG" reached one Month #1 and stayed over 5 month in the TOP TEN at the Junodownload Funk Charts! For his Edits he got many support by Funk DJs and Funk Listeners World wide!
Jayl Funk did many Remixes for headz like UMBO, Philly Blunt, DJ Prosper, Jazz k. Lipa, Dogo Argentino, ....
In December 2011 he was opening his own Label called H O N K E Y P H O N K to keep the Funk Alive. 
His debut Album "WE GOT THE FUNK" comes out in May 2012 on BOMBASTIC JAM and it goes straight to the Top Seller-Charts on Junodownload.


Keep an eye of him!

How was 2016 for you? 

2016 was a super nice year for me. I played a lot of awesome shows and had super nice moments. I met a lot of nice and great people. 
Of course in 2016  I didn´t find enough time for my music projects, but in 2017 I am sure it´ll getting better ๐Ÿ˜‰


Across The Sea (Remixes) Honkey Phonk: Can you tell us what your favourite thing is about your track? 

I love the totally different Remixes on this Project. DJ Love is an awesome DJ and producer and he did a great job on his pumping HipHop Version.
The Funkanomics always a Banger and they always do a great Job! 

Can you tell us about new project you will be working on 2017? 

I am working more on original music. The new Track with Tarzan Bros will coming out in the first half of 2017 and I am sure people will love it! 


Imagine yourself walking into the studio; please may you talk me through a typical day? 

The first thing is: I get an idea. Than I go into my studio and try to make it real. Normally I begin with the beatz…… 

What are your habits? 

I love Coffee and Choclate  ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

How do you go about choosing what software and plug-ins you use? 

I use Propellerheads Reason 8, Maschine Mikro. I use the Reason intern “Plug Ins”, (Rack-Extensions)

What’s the one piece of DJ/production gear you can’t live without? 
Serato ๐Ÿ˜‰

Any particular artists/dj’s/ producers that really influenced you? 

Definitely Michael Jackson. For me Michael Jackson is still the best Artist on the Planet! Skeewiff and Fingerlickin Records influenced me strong for the Funky Breaks!

How’s the music scene in this moment in your country? 

The Main-Genre in our Dance-Scene in Germany is still Electro and Techno. In smaller and different places you will get very nice Disco and Funk Sounds.
But I am sure Faster Breakbeat Sounds come back in 2017. 

Often particular cities are linked to certain sounds and sub genres. Do you think living in your city is reflected in your music? 

In Nuremberg it´s difficult with my kind of music. People still love Techno and House-Music. But that’s okay for me. There are a lot of very nice
and very strong House and Techno Labels and Producer. It´s nice to go out for a night and find inspiration in this genre to get it in my own productions. 
In doing Different things you always get better and better.




Comments