Inside BB Awards 2016 - One day with DRKWTR - Interview

First interview with all artists nominated in the Breakbeat Awards 2016
Today: DRKWTR - Alberta (Canada)




Having rocked the decks in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada now for three years, and found time in the studio for two, Drkwtr is quickly becoming a recognizable force in the underground scene.

With a strong background in Classical, Blues, Rock, and Metal, and experience playing guitar and singing in several different bands, Drkwtr has made a smooth transition to the underground scene and continues to amaze listeners with his "ninja" like reflexes, seamless musical stitching, and unorthodox tricks.

----
Generally a Breakbeat DJ, he shares a great love for House and Techno, often searching out tracks that share one or more of these qualities, making his sets vaired, fresh, and exciting.

Drkwtr will generally progress his sets from either soft to hard, or hard to soft, enjoying increasing or decreasing the energy of a dancefloor while telling a musical story.

Having rocked many of the local night clubs, bars, several hall parties, charity events, private shows, as well as dropping sets at Astral Harvest Music Festival (Driftpile), Motion Notion Festival (Drayton Valley) and Mad Hatter Festival (Blackfalds) have solidified him with a decent fan base and repeat performances.

He has played alongside some of the best DJ's, and producers, both near and far, including opening for the Legendary Soul Of Man (Fingerlickin Records).

He has many collaborations and projects with other DJ's, including: 

One third of:
"Bongwater" (Nu Jazz, IDM, Experimental, Trip Hop, Hip Hop, Funk, Electronica) 

Spearheading:
"Techno Breakfast" (Techno/Funky Techno)
((Generally for morning time at festivals where free breakfast is supplied for anyone present)) 

One half of:
"Mix & Match" (Party Bangers)

One half of:
"Isoteryk" (Liquid Dnb, Atmospheric Dnb, Drum Funk)

----
Drkwtr's production style is not regimented to any one genre in particular, however he tends towards fusing elements of Jazz and Funk in all his songs, often either upbeat and dark, or smooth and uplifting. 

He puts emphasis on intense melodic composition, catchy chord progressions, and a minimalistic approach, following the artistic theory that "less is more".

He has a recent signing with "We Are Live Records" (UK), and "Breakzrboss Records" (CAN), along with a few independent releases, and albums.

He is currently working on a collaboration with a few other artists on an album titled "A DJ's Guide To The Zodiac": a collection of 13 tracks of various genres and styles to represent the signs of the Zodiac and their personalities through the use of sound.




How was 2016 for you?
2016 was a year of discovery and hard work. I've come a long way from the "doing it for shits and giggles" and "this is my career"
I've been honing my work, and learning to temper my sounds.



Down (DRKWTR Remix)
Can you tell us what your favourite thing is about your  track?
So the remix I did was a bit different, and for good reason. I didn't really want the remix to compete with the original, so I turned it on its head. My favourite part of the remix is the drop; no bass kick, just 808


Can you tell us about new project you will be working on 2017?
I have just finished a collaboration with One Arc Degree, and I'm currently working on a remix with Fizzix, and a funky banger with Sonek.

Imagine yourself walking into the studio; please may you talk me through a typical day? What are your habits?
First thing is to remove any and all distractions. I clear my mind before heading into battle. Open up a blank page and let whatever happens happen, and hope to hell whats happening is happening well enough.


How do you go about choosing what software and plug-ins you use?
I generally find out about software and plugins from some of my more adept audio tekkie friends and go from there. A lot of time, I use on board effects from Ableton, as they actually do a pretty good job for what I need.

What’s the one piece of DJ/production gear you can’t live without?
 My mind

Any particular artists/dj’s/ producers that really influenced you?
I've been influenced by so many artists and dj's over the years. It would take an entire book to write it all down, and would never be finished, because I'm still inspired on a daily basis!

How’s the  music scene in this moment in your country?
Alive and vibrant!

Often particular cities are linked to certain sounds and sub genres. Do you think living in your city is reflected in your music?
I don't base my sound on what other sounds are coming from Edmonton. I base my sounds on experiences, and interpretations of situations or feelings. At the root, I am a Breakbeat enthusiast, and a Minimal Techno lover. I use that as my base, and spatter bits of everything else I find amusing into it. I think living in my music is reflected in me.



Comments