Inside BBSAwards 2017 - one day with BadboE - Interview




BadboE from Denmark is one of the pioneers and key player in the international nu-funk/ghetto funk scene. With 2 album releases and a dozen EP releases under his belt, he’s now ready to tour the world with his b- boy funky breaks sound. He has released records on all major labels in the NuFunk scene: Bombstrikes (UK), Good Groove (UK), Manmade (GER), Baffin Beat Brigade (USA) and many more as well as remixing tracks for Layo & Bushwacka, Fort Knox Five, Basement Freaks,Omegaman and many others.He’s been DJing in many European cities in England, Germany, Greece, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ukraine as well as San Francisco and New York. He’s played at the Roskilde Festival in Denmark as well as the electronic Boom Festival in Portugal. He has recently just returned from a one-month regrooved tour in Australia and New Zealand where he rocked cities like Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Hobart & Auckland!In 2006 BadboE formed his own record label called Breakbeat Paradise Recordings (BBP Recordings), which has currently released around 50 EPs on digital and 14 vinyls. Since then the ghetto funk scene has come to live and the BBP label is now one of the leaders in this genre.BadboE has been keeping busy releasing his unique flavor of b-boy funk and uptempo partyfunk on his own label and on various other labels. After releasing a few vinyl records in 2007 - the debut EP: "Loose Your Funky Self" and a remix by Break The Box called "Walk out Laughing" the successful EP "Dynamite/Nothing But the Funk" was released in Oct 2008 with remixes from All Good Funk Alliance! This was followed by the successful 4-track Good Groove 11 vinyl that managed to stay at the no. 1 spot on the breakbeat chart for several months. The first full length album “Break The Funk” came out in 2009 followed by remix album “Break The Funk Remixed” in 2010, which both made a big impact to in the Nu Funk scene. A lot or remixes has been coming out on various labels and they have all contributed to settling BadboE’s name in the funky breakbeat scene.BadboE has just released his second album Pump Up The Funk, which has shocked the ghetto funk scene by bringing things to the next level. On this album BadboE is gonna feature vocalist from all over the world and integrate live musical elements from Jazz and Funk musicians. 2 singles has already been released from this album and received major support from all the main DJs and producers in the scene. BadboE has been called a legend and an icon in the ever-growing Ghetto Funk scene and he’s about to tour the world with his funky partyrocking DJ-sets. Stay tuned...



Thanks for your time! Now that we are almost at the end of 2017, what are some words you would use to describe this year?

Thanks for the interest! Its been a good BadboE year with a quite a lot of releases. 2017 has also been a fantastic year for my label Breakbeat Paradise Recordings which has been where I have released most of my music this year. Its been a turbulent year for breaks and bass music - a lot of confused artists out there looking for new genres - which I think is why we at BBP has had good reactions for being consistant and sticking with what we do.


Shake It Off - Vocal Mix
Can you tell us what your favourite thing is about your  track?

This track was produced back in 2016 where it was first release on vinyl and this year made it do a digital release. What we tried to do with this release was to take it back to the roots - and dedicate it to the oldskool hip hop vibes that got us all into breaks in the first place. I was surprised to see how well this release did - by selling out on vinyl and now topping the breakbeat chart on juno. There’s gotta be something about the oldskool breaks that people need :)


Can you tell us about new project you will be working on 2017/2018?

I will continue to focus on the BBP label together and hopefully have a few releases of my own come out during 2018. I’m hoping to team up with some vocalists and have some original songs come out to prepare for an album release at some point.


Imagine yourself walking into the studio; please may you talk me through a typical day? What are your habits?

I like to hit the studio early saturday and really work intense on a track. I have family and work to keep me busy during the week so I need to really be effective once I finally sit down to do music. Depending on how much I get into the session can last into sunday but usually I have everything planned out to where I can knock things out rather quickly. I work on music like its a project and I plan it out and execute it and it works. I dont get much time to experiment with things as I used to but it means I get things done and don’t have a lot of un-finished songs sitting around.


How do you go about choosing what software and plug-ins you use?

I use a old tracking software similar to the protracker and fasttracker from the Amiga days. Thats how I got started and still the best way for me to work with hundreds of samples and still not loose overview. The tool Im on right now is called Renoise and it offers a good blend of that old tracker look and feel but still offers VST and Midi support so I can use the Massive plugin etc.


What’s the one piece of DJ/production gear you can’t live without?

For DJing to me its all about the Serato - and with the Novation Dicers you can still work the functions via buttons so you dont have to be over the computer all the time. Production wise I’m not too depending on gear - more on software - the plugins and samples are what gives me the quickest and best output of my ideas.


Any particular artists/dj’s/ producers that really influenced you?

I started out in around the big beat days in the mid 90s. So the influences is on the breaks pioneers like The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and of course Fat Boy Slim.

How’s the  music scene in this moment in your country?

I am living in Florida right now so there is not much of the type of breaks I do going around here.

Often particular cities are linked to certain sounds and sub genres. Do you think living in your city is reflected in your music?

Not really - all though being in the states has given me access to a lot of awesome soul and funk music to sample from.


LINKS:





Comments