BBS Awards 2019 - One Day with Jim Funk - Winner - Best Artist - Interview







BBS Awards 2019 - One Day with Jim Funk - Winner - Best Artist - Interview





(Jim Funk) is currently residing in Panama City Beach, Fl and enjoys all genres of music. Born James E Murphy in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida on September 17, 1984, Jim Funk, so named by Dustin C member of Lab Man Records after his crazy style of funky music merged with today's Dark bass and Pretty styles. Always playing the new top and underground HEAT! He has been professionally producing since the age of 18 (2003) and has DJ'd in clubs like Club La Vela, The Swamp, Rock Star, NightTown, House of Blues, Club LA, Spinnaker Beach Club, District Night Club, Festivals and local bars around the United States. To the date, he continues to produce and play all style music. Currently, he is on Gigabeat Records, Gigabeat nights record label, Genuine Debbie D Records, Kaleidoscope MUSIC, Therabeat Records with remixes on Nolabeat records. He is also the founder and CEO of Bass-A-holix Anonymous Ent. To date, he is charting one of the highest in Beatport in Breakbeats and Trap. He is one of the most well rounded DJ's continuing to bring the funk merging noise to music. Non-Stop To The Top.



How does it feel to win the BBS Awards 2019 for Best Artist of the Year?

I still can't believe it. It is a true honor to even be on a list with so many amazing artists and friends.
To be honest all the fans are the true winners.
I couldn't do any of this without all Them.

How would you describe your productions and your style of music? 

Different. I tend to try and do every style I have ever heard.
I can't ever settle for one style. I believe by stepping out the box
It helps me grow as a producer and artist.

How did you get started?

Well, I started as a Percussionist.
I did marching band in middle school (Rosenwald) and high school (Rutherford).
Then about the age of 15, my sister started dating a DJ named IDK.
Not long after that, I was taken to my first night club. LOL.
Just so happens Debbie D and Mike B were playing that night and from then forward I knew
I wanted to mix records and produce dance music.


ISLANDS IN SKY - Jim Funk RAVESTA RECORDS

What inspired this track?


Actually one of my friends plays trumpet and really loves brass.
So I decided to make a song with that bighorn and future Breaks sound.
Some reason I am just in love with vocals.
So I almost always try and have female lyrics.

How would you describe your own music, your own style?

Truthfully I don't know if I know what my style is.
I'm into Dark Electricity, Vocals, and Heavy Bass Lines.
Songs with the depth that takes you on a journey.

What are you up to now, what is your next project?

I have 8 songs completed that are about to drop on Beatport in the next couple months on
Ravesta, Genuine Dj Debbie D Records, Gigabeat and Dizziness Records.
Also, I am currently working on my own album with all original vocals.


Growing up, how important was music in your life?

Can you recall the moment when you decided that you wanted to be in this industry?

Was it an easy or difficult choice to make?

Very young I realized music was in everything. It is all around us. It is in the mall, an elevator, every place I went
So I felt like it would be very important for me to understand and work in this field.
The moment I decided I was going to be in this industry was definitely when I saw Mike B scratching and Debbie D mixing.
Music has always been a hard decision to stay with. Not all my family or girlfriends have been as supportive to me as
my amazing wife is now.


What has been the biggest surprise so far about making music your career?

What has been an unexpected or welcome challenge to it all?

What has been the best part of it all?

Every day seems to be a surprise just look at now for instance. It seems to me like every day in the industry is a challenge
because it is forever changing with technology.
The best part of it all is definitely the amazing fans I have made along the way.

How do you think you have grown as an artist since you first started making music?

Oh man, lol. I have grown so much. I remember the first time I ever made a song it was on MTV music generator or on PlayStation and acid pro.
Just like technology changes, it seems I do too. Making music is just getting easier and easier for those that want to learn and have patience.
I definitely know if you keep analyzing yourself, you will continue to get better and better.


Who are some of your favorite artists or rather, what musicians have continued to inspire you and your music?

Who would you absolutely love to work with in the future?

I definitely feel it's a little of every artist that I have ever seen in my life. Just like my dancing.
I just take bits and pieces of everything that have made an impression on me and interpret it in my own way.
I would have to say I would love to work with God one day on a song.

Would you like to share anything else about yourself or your music with our readers?

I want to Thank you all for the votes. I want to thank the record labels for working with me.
My wife for believing in me and my lovely kids (Cadence, Lyric, and Rhythm) for dealing with my music. LOL

Comments